Binoculars Carl Zeiss Jena Feldstecher 6 Fach

Magnification: 6x
Aperture (objective diameter): 18 mm
Field of view: 6.8°
Visible field of view (eyepiece FOV): 41°
The closest focusing distance: 3 m
Width: 14.4 cm
Height: 10 cm
Weight: 450 g
Production date: 1907.

   On July 9, 1893, Carl Zeiss patented prismatic binoculars. Civilian models of devices were produced from 1894 to 1907 with 4x, 6x, and 8x magnification, having flat prism covers and a hinge, which was attached to binoculars’ halves with the help of screws. The objective diameter of this model is 18 mm (the earlier models had an aperture equal to 15 mm) and magnification value is equal to 6x. This model of binoculars had being produced from 1894 to 1907. Something like 14,000 of such devices were released during that period.
   Around 1896 a military version of such binocular also appeared on the market – it was O.D.F.95 (Offiziers-Doppelfernrohr 95), which had 6x magnification as well. This popular model among military people was first sold in private, but later there were centralized supplies to a German army.  
   The binocular possesses eyepieces of the so-called "1/3" design (see Hans T.Seeger. Zeiss-Feldstecher, Handfernglaser von 1894-1919, Modelle-Merkmale-Mythos, pp.114-116) with the base diameter equal to 20.5 mm and the top prism cover width equal to 44 mm. The binoculars with such eyepieces design were produced approximately from 1903 to 1906 (according to other sources – up to 1905) (see photo). The binoculars’ field of view is increased compared with the previous model
   The binoculars frame hinge is attached to its halves with the help of 5 screws from each side (the earlier models were fixed with the help of 4 screws). The upper and lower prism covers are made of brass (the earlier versions could have been made of aluminum); the device has short “lugs” for a neck strap, which are attached to binoculars with the help of 2 screws (the previous model had long “lugs”). There are inscriptions “Carl Zeiss, Jena. D.R.P.” on the left prism cover. D.R.P. is an abbreviation for Deutsches Reichs Patent. There is also an inscription “Feldstecher 6 Fach” on the right prism cover. The inscription is encrusted with the help of silver (?) alloy and is made in block letters against the background of Carl Zeiss Tessar photo lens schematic image (the earlier models had an inscription in italics up to 1904). 
   The continuous serial numbering of Carl Zeiss Jena binoculars was absent at that time (it appeared only at the end of 1907); the new serial numbers were assigned according to the new model release or according to the device design changes. Therefore, relying upon the serial number "12846" and upon the binoculars design (eyepieces joint, the frame hinge fixing and so on) one can assume that the binocular was produced in 1907.  
   The binocular has a complete set (it is a rarity for such age of device): a coffer with a strap, the binoculars’ neck strap and a knob, with the help of which the hinge could have been finally fixed depending on the observer’s interpupillary distance (see photo).
   The binoculars’ coffer is also of great interest. It is not typical for Carl Zeiss. It was used for binoculars intended for an export to England (see Hans T.Seeger. Zeiss Handfernlaser 1919-1946, Modelle-Merkmale-Mythos, p. 641). The coffer has a clasp and strap sewn to the top cover. There is no exact data concerning where and from whose materials these coffers were made: either in England directly or in Germany at Carl Zeiss plant. 
   The earlier model of this binocular with "2/3"-type of eyepieces, long “lugs” for a neck strap fastening is available by the following link: