Binoculars Carl Zeiss Jena O.D.F.95

Magnification: 8x
Aperture (objective diameter): 20 mm
Field of view: 4.6°
Visible field of view (eyepiece FOV): 36.8°
The closest focusing distance: 6.5 m
Width: 14.9 cm
Height: 12 cm
Weight: 582 g
Production date: 1900.

   On July 9, 1893, Carl Zeiss patented prismatic binoculars. Civilian models of devices with 4x, 6x, and 8x magnification were produced from 1894 to 1907 – they had flat prism covers and a hinge, which was attached to binoculars’ halves with the help of screws. Military models of binoculars appeared in catalogs in August 1895 – those were O.D.F.95 (Offiziers-Doppelfernrohr 95) with 6x magnification   and D.F.95 (Doppelfernrohr 95) with 8x magnification. However, there are suggestions that first prototypes of these binoculars were produced before 1893, as they had to undergo a long military acceptance (Artillerie Prüfungs kommission - APK). In 1902 these two binoculars were replaced by D.F.6x and D.F.8x, which acquired some modifications.
   The O.D.F.95 binocular is very similar to civilian model Feldstecher. Vergr. = 6 However, there are still some differences (see photo).
   For example, the clamping screw for adjusting the interpupillary distance has much bigger diameter in O.D.F.95 and the upper hinge disk with the interpupillary distances scale has another design. Moreover, the O.D.F.95 eyepieces are located in the binocular’s case a little bit deeper with the purpose of parasitic gap reduction. Initially, the O.D.F.95 and D.F.95 binoculars had eyepieces with clamping rings, intended for focus fixing (this idea was picked up by contemporary manufacturers of binoculars much later). However, in February 1898, the Prussian military department obliged to withdraw all sold devices because of the diopter scale absence on the eyepieces. After that and up to 1902, they started to complete the O.D.F.95 and D.F.95 models with "3/3" type eyepieces having a diopter scale (see Hans T.Seeger. Zeiss-Feldstecher, Handfernglaser von 1894-1919, Modelle-Merkmale-Mythos, pp.180-181). The eyepieces’ base diameter is 18 mm, the upper prism cover width is 40 mm.
   The binoculars frame hinge is attached to its halves with the help of 5 screws from each side. The upper and lower prism covers are made of brass; the device has long “lugs” for a neck strap, which are attached to binoculars with the help of 2 screws.
   There are inscriptions “Carl Zeiss, Jena. D.R.P.” on the left prism cover. D.R.P. is an abbreviation for Deutsches Reichs Patent. There is also an inscription “O.D.F.95 P.№2078». - Offiziers-Doppelfernrohr 95 Privatnummer 2078” on the right prism cover. The last inscription means that the binocular has its own number for selling exclusively to military people in private order with the military department permission. The inscription is encrusted with the help of silver (?) alloy and is made in italics.
   The binoculars’ serial number is "2472" and it was manufactured approximately in 1900.